Connect with us

News & Updates

Zuma’s Daughter Steps Down from Parliament Amid Claims She Misled South Africans Into Fighting for Russia

Published

on

Duduzile Zuma Sambudla, daughter of former South African president Jacob Zuma, has resigned from parliament following serious allegations that she deceived a group of South African men into travelling to Russia, where they were allegedly pushed into fighting as mercenaries in the war in Ukraine. Her resignation marks a dramatic turn in a case that has shocked families and sparked national debate over accountability, foreign recruitment networks, and the vulnerability of job seekers.

Zuma Sambudla, who joined parliament last year as a representative of the opposition party uMkhonto weSizwe (MK), has denied knowingly sending the men into a war zone. In an affidavit, she said she believed they were going to Russia for “lawful” security or skills training. According to her, she had no reason to suspect they would end up in Ukraine’s conflict-ridden Donbas region, an area where fighting between Russian and Ukrainian forces has continued for years.

Despite her denial, families of the men have described receiving disturbing voice notes and messages from those trapped in the region, pleading for help and warning that they were misled. One man’s brother said the messages showed fear, confusion and desperation as they realized they were not being trained for legitimate work but had instead been placed in the heart of an active conflict. These recordings intensified pressure on authorities to intervene and raised questions about how the group ended up in such dangerous circumstances.

The MK party confirmed on Friday that Zuma Sambudla had stepped down from parliament and all public roles, saying the decision was hers alone and not the result of internal disciplinary action. Party leaders explained that she wanted to dedicate her time to helping bring the trapped men home safely. MK also stressed that it had no involvement in the recruitment or travel arrangements and distanced itself from the controversy.

South African police previously announced they were investigating allegations that the men were lured with promises of high paying jobs or training programmes. Families say many of the recruits believed they were heading into legitimate employment opportunities due to the country’s high unemployment and scarce economic prospects. Instead, they found themselves in one of the world’s most dangerous war zones, reportedly without proper preparation, contracts or informed consent.

The South African presidency confirmed earlier in the month that it had received requests to assist in repatriating the men. Officials said diplomatic channels were being explored, though efforts are complicated by the region’s instability and the sensitive geopolitical nature of the conflict. South Africa has maintained a neutral stance on the Ukraine war, balancing historical ties with Russia and pressure from Western allies, making the case even more delicate.

For families, however, the focus remains on the men still stuck in Donbas. Many relatives fear the situation could worsen and are calling for urgent government intervention. Human rights groups say the case highlights how easily economically vulnerable individuals can be targeted by questionable recruitment schemes, especially when international conflicts create opportunities for exploitation.

Zuma Sambudla’s resignation may help ease political pressure, but it leaves many unanswered questions about how the men were recruited, who financed their travel and whether others may have been targeted. As investigations continue, the priority remains securing the safe return of the 17 South Africans caught in a war they never intended to join.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *