News & Updates
Pupils abducted from Catholic school in fresh Nigeria attack
A new wave of fear has swept through central Nigeria after armed men kidnapped pupils from a Catholic school in Niger state, marking the second mass abduction of students in the country within a week. The attackers stormed St Mary’s School in Papiri during the early hours of Friday morning, leaving families terrified and desperate for information.
The exact number of abducted pupils is still uncertain, but residents fear that as many as one hundred students and staff may have been taken. The raid happened despite state authorities previously ordering all boarding schools in the region to shut down due to increasing security threats. The school, however, had reopened without notifying the government.
The attack has come just days after more than twenty schoolgirls were kidnapped from a boarding school in nearby Kebbi state. In another incident earlier this week, a church in Kwara state was attacked during a live streamed service, leaving two people dead and thirty eight abducted. The series of assaults has raised urgent concerns about the growing reach of armed groups known locally as bandits.
Police said the attackers broke into St Mary’s School at around two in the morning, heading straight for the hostels where students were sleeping. In the aftermath, families rushed to the school grounds, hoping to hear news of their children. Many expressed frustration over the security situation and fear that even more communities could be targeted.
Local resident Dominic Adamu told the BBC that the community was in shock. His own daughters attend St Mary’s but were among those who escaped. He said the attack caught everyone completely off guard, adding that parents are deeply worried about the country’s worsening security challenges.
For some families, the ordeal has already turned into heartbreak. A woman whose six year old and thirteen year old nieces were abducted broke down in tears as she pleaded for their safe return. She said all she wanted was to see the girls come home unharmed.
State officials have criticised the school for reopening despite warnings. They said intelligence reports had clearly indicated a heightened risk of attacks in the area. Their statement noted that the school failed to seek government clearance before bringing students back, which they believe contributed to the tragic outcome.
The latest abductions highlight the severe challenges Nigeria continues to face in protecting schools and rural communities. As rescue operations begin and families wait in anguish, the incident has renewed calls for stronger security measures and better coordination between schools and authorities. For now, the community remains gripped by fear, hoping the children will be found soon and returned safely to their families.
