News & Updates
At least 13 dead and dozens injured as massive fire engulfs Hong Kong tower blocks
A devastating fire that swept through multiple high-rise buildings in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has left at least 13 people dead and 15 injured, according to authorities. The blaze, one of the most severe the city has faced in recent years, erupted on Wednesday afternoon at the Wang Fuk Court housing complex and quickly grew out of control.
The fire began at 14:51 local time and was upgraded to a level four alarm within 40 minutes. By 18:22, officials had raised it to level five, the highest alert in Hong Kong’s system. More than 700 firefighters were deployed to the scene as flames and thick grey smoke poured from the buildings, with dramatic footage showing entire sections of the towers engulfed.
Officials said nine people died at the scene, while four others later succumbed to their injuries in the hospital. Among the victims was firefighter Ho Wai Ho, 37, who was found collapsed inside one of the structures after contact with him was lost for around half an hour. He was rushed to the hospital but could not be saved.
Authorities say the cause of the fire remains unclear, but early indications suggest the blaze may have spread rapidly through bamboo scaffolding that covered the exterior of the buildings as part of ongoing renovation work. Bamboo scaffolding is widely used in Hong Kong construction due to its flexibility and cost-effectiveness, but it can pose a significant fire risk when dry.
Fire Services Department deputy director Derek Armstrong Chan said conditions inside the buildings were extremely dangerous, with temperatures so high that firefighters struggled to enter the upper floors. He warned that it remained difficult to predict when the fire would be fully extinguished and noted that the intense heat and structural instability were major obstacles.
Tai Po District Councillor Mui Siu Fung told BBC Chinese that firefighters had been unable to safely reach certain areas and that it was unclear whether anyone remained trapped. Wang Fuk Court consists of eight residential blocks containing nearly 2,000 apartments and housing around 4,000 residents. Seven of the eight buildings were affected by the fire, and scaffolding on the exterior of the blocks was severely damaged.
Emergency services evacuated nearby buildings as a precaution, while the Hong Kong government opened temporary shelters at Kwong Fuk Community Hall and the Tung Cheong Street Leisure Building for displaced residents. The Transport Department said a large evacuation zone had been established, with roads closed and more than 30 bus routes diverted due to safety risks and heavy smoke.
Authorities are continuing to assess the situation and investigate the cause. The scale of the damage and the number of casualties have raised concerns about fire risks in high-rise buildings undergoing renovation, particularly those surrounded by bamboo scaffolding.
