News & Updates
Von der Leyen says Moscow shows “no real intent” to pursue peace talks
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has warned that the war in Ukraine remains volatile and dangerous, accusing Russia of showing no genuine willingness to engage in meaningful peace negotiations. Her remarks came just before Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said it was too early to discuss any formal agreement, underscoring the uncertainty surrounding current diplomatic efforts.
Speaking to the European Parliament in Strasbourg, von der Leyen stressed that Ukraine would require strong and long-lasting security guarantees to prevent future attacks. She argued that Russia continues to operate with a post-Second World War worldview, treating Europe as a sphere of influence rather than a collection of sovereign states. Her comments were delivered as the United States intensified its mediation efforts between Kyiv and Moscow.
Talks held in Geneva and later in Abu Dhabi this week reportedly led to Ukraine accepting the core principles of a revised peace proposal. The initial 28-point draft, heavily criticised for favouring Russian interests, was modified after extensive discussions. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said the updated version reflected an approach he considered reasonable, although key disagreements with Russia remain unresolved. The Kremlin has repeatedly played down suggestions that a compromise is close.
Von der Leyen reiterated that Europe would stand firmly with Ukraine throughout the process. She also addressed controversial discussions surrounding the 210 billion euros in frozen Russian assets currently held in European institutions. Belgium has raised legal concerns about releasing these funds to Ukraine, fearing potential international law violations and financial repercussions if Russia were to contest the transfer. Other member states have also expressed caution. Von der Leyen sought to reassure lawmakers, saying she could not envision a scenario in which European taxpayers would be forced to cover the costs. She added that the Commission had already prepared a legal text and an options paper ahead of a decision expected later in December.
European leaders were caught off guard last week after the United States quietly presented its own peace proposal to Russia, which included limiting Ukraine’s military and transferring some occupied territories to Moscow. European governments have since insisted they must be involved in any future negotiations. France and the United Kingdom convened a meeting of a so-called coalition of the willing on Tuesday to discuss security guarantees for Ukraine.
Von der Leyen emphasised that implementing any peace deal would rely heavily on the European Union and its NATO partners. She stated that decisions about Ukraine must involve Ukraine itself and that Europe would not accept being sidelined. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz echoed her message, saying Europe is a sovereign actor with its own interests and values.
Despite these calls, European participation in the next round of talks remains uncertain. Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov dismissed the idea of including European leaders, calling their involvement unnecessary. Meanwhile, US officials continue their shuttle diplomacy, with presidential envoy Steve Witkoff expected in Moscow next week and the US Secretary of the Army Dan Driscoll scheduled to visit Kyiv.
Zelensky said he hopes to hold direct discussions with President Trump soon to address major sticking points, including Ukraine’s eastern territories, NATO membership and the future size of its military. Trump has said he will meet both Zelensky and Russian President Vladimir Putin only when a peace deal is close to completion.
